Travel insurance during the coronavirus pandemic.
Coronavirus has made it tricky to travel the world and on top of that many insurance companies have distanced themselves from providing cover during the pandemic. But there’s a solution.
Australia & New Zealand Travel Company is working with a reputable insurance provider that’s one of the very few insurers still supporting travellers. You can be covered for some of the coronavirus-related risks and make it possible to enjoy exploring Australia and New Zealand during these Covid-19 times.
A snapshot of the top Covid-19 travel insurance benefits
You can now get travel insurance with cover for many coronavirus-related expenses. For peace of mind when travelling, speak to your travel consultant today about the new domestic policies.
Then you’ll be free to book and enjoy your trip, knowing you have travel insurance benefits that cover some of the unexpected situations caused by Covid-19.
Here’s a brief summary of the best insurance benefits for Covid-19 travel that will come as standard with your policy. The policy does not cover snap border closure expenses, but does cover all of the below:
Premium domestic travel plans automatically include cancellation cover up to $10,000 and you can add the amount of cancellation cover you require to your new international or inbound travel insurance policy and you’ll be covered for a range of costs arising from coronavirus-related changes and cancellations that couldn’t be anticipated.
Expenses & delays
If your travel plans have to change or your trip is cut short for a range of reasons related to Covid-19, new international and domestic travel insurance plans include cover for many of the cost typically involved. If your trip is within Australia or New Zealand, cover is provided for unexpected coronavirus-related disruptions to special events and travel delays
A guide for insurance policy prices
To give you an indication of how much travel insurance can cost, the below policy prices are based on the average fees for 14 days travel.
|Minimum $1500 cancellation for domestic coverage in Australia|
|Age 18-69 years: $20 per person|
|Age 70-79 years: $40 per person|
|Premium $10,000 cancellation for domestic coverage in Australia & New Zealand|
|Age 18-69 years: $95 per person|
|Age 70-79 years: $125 per person|
If your tour is longer than 14 days or you are over 79 years of age, please call us for a quotation.
If you intend to travel overseas, the new inbound and international plans are ready for the increase in travel as soon as government restrictions ease. If a qualified medical practitioner diagnoses you with coronavirus while you’re travelling, the new plans could help with the cost of the overseas medical treatment that you receive.
Call us on 1300 168 910 for information about travel insurance options and booking conditions.
A closer look at coronavirus travel insurance options
Here’s a handy summary of the cover each of the Covid-19 travel insurance benefits provides:
Insurance for Covid-19 travel cancellation and amendment costs
We always recommend getting your travel insurance policy as soon as possible after making your bookings. This is now more important in the current environment. $10,000 cancellation cover is included on premium domestic travel plans and can be added to international and inbound travel insurance policies. Buying travel insurance soon after you book gives immediate cover for many costs if your arrangements are cancelled or changed due to Covid-19.
Here are the main Covid-19 situations included in this cover:
Your personal circumstances are affected by Covid-19:
• You can’t depart for your trip because you have been diagnosed with Covid-19 by a qualified medical practitioner
• You’re an essential healthcare worker and Covid-19 has caused your leave to be cancelled
• An Australian or New Zealand resident business partner or relative, who is not travelling with you, has been diagnosed with a life-threatening infection of Covid-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and you have to change or cancel your trip
Your host’s circumstances are affected by Covid-19:
• If you can no longer stay with someone as planned in Australia or New Zealand, because they have been diagnosed with Covid-19 by a qualified medical practitioner or required to quarantine by their public health authority, we provide up to $150 a night for alternative accommodation
Your prepaid expenses in Australia or New Zealand are affected, for example:
• Your prepaid accommodation is closed for deep-cleaning after a coronavirus outbreak
• The venue of a prepaid experience is closed due to possible Covid-19 contamination
Travel insurance with overseas coronavirus medical cover
Many Australians need or want to travel overseas, but are concerned about what it could cost if they become infected with coronavirus while in another country. To help you travel to where government restrictions allow, our travel insurance can provide cover for medical expenses related to Covid-19.
If you’re diagnosed with Covid-19 by a qualified medical practitioner during your overseas travel, while you are suffering from the infection our cover includes:
• Medical treatment costs
• Ambulance costs
Our Covid-19 travel insurance does not provide medical cover if:
• Your claim involves a multi-night cruise
• You visit any part of a country while it has a ‘do not travel’ rating from Smartraveller
Travel insurance for extra Covid-19 costs
Travel has always come with surprises – some good, some not so good. Travel insurance exists to cover most unexpected challenges and this continues in today’s world, where there’s the potential for a wide range of costs to arise from Covid-19.
In addition to travel cancellation and medical costs mentioned above, our new international and domestic travel insurance policies can provide cover for extra expenses you have to pay. Here are the main situations included in this cover:
Your personal circumstances are affected by coronavirus:
• You’re diagnosed with Covid-19 while on your trip
• A public health authority requires you to quarantine or isolate
Cover for these two situations is not available if:
• Your trip has included a multiple night cruise at any stage
• You visited any part of a country while it had a ‘do not travel’ rating from Smartraveller
A business partner or relative is diagnosed with coronavirus:
• An Australian or New Zealand resident business partner or relative, who is not travelling with you, has been diagnosed with a life-threatening infection of Covid-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and you have to return home
Your host or prepaid accommodation is affected by coronavirus
• You can no longer stay with someone as planned in Australia or New Zealand because they have been diagnosed with Covid-19 or required to quarantine
• Your prepaid accommodation is closed for deep-cleaning after a coronavirus outbreak
Exclusions that apply to this coronavirus travel cover
To get a clear picture of what can and can’t be covered during the Covid-19 pandemic, we strongly recommend you’re fully informed before you buy travel insurance cover. It’s important to realise that some of the coronavirus travel insurance benefits only apply if you are travelling within Australia and New Zealand.
Here’s a quick summary of scenarios will not be covered, if they arise from or are caused by Covid-19:
• Will not help with costs or expenses related to cross area, border, region or territory travel if they are a result of a mandatory quarantine or isolation order enforced by a government or public health authority
• If your destination has a ‘do not travel’ warning on the Smartraveller website, cover doesn’t apply
• Cover is not provided for claims related to government directed border closures
• Insurance won’t help if your claim arises from the threat – or perceived threat – of Covid-19
Please note: Your circumstances including age, location, medical condition or issue, proximity to appropriate medical care and medical history will be considered when applying for travel insurance and subject to approval. Cover is subject to conditions, exclusions, limits and sub-limits of the policy. Travel On Demand Pty Ltd (ABN 11 642 241 914) trading as Australia & New Zealand Travel Company, distributes these insurance products for Easy Travel Insurance which is administered by Cover-More Insurance Services Pty Ltd (Cover-More) ABN 95 003 114 145, AFSL 241713) and issued by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited (ABN 13 000 296 640, AFSL 232507). Any advice provided is general advice only. Please consider your financial situation, needs and objectives and read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before deciding to buy this insurance. For disputes, changes, cancellation or any questions, please contact the insurance provider directly. Policies may not be available to all travellers. Limits, sub-limits, conditions, exclusions and fees apply. Australia & New Zealand Travel Company receives commission for insurance policies sold.
By Phone: 1300 168 910 or Email: email@example.com
We can offer you the expertise you would expect in planning a fantastic trip to any of our destinations. Please contact us today for more information on our wide selection of travel experiences in Australia and New Zealand.