New Zealand North & South Island by Train – 10 days
Combine three of New Zealand’s great rail journeys on a self-guided tour from Auckland to Christchurch!
With central hotels, train travel and ferry crossing all pre-booked, your time will be free to enjoy the three exciting cities on this worry-free trip. After a 3-night stay in Auckland, journey through Tongariro National Park aboard the Northern Explorer train. Following a 2-night stay in Wellington, take the scenic crossing from the North Island to the South Island aboard the Interislander Ferry.
On arrival in Picton, skirt the Pacific Coast between en route to Christchurch aboard the Coastal Pacific. During your 4-night stay in the charming city, there’s a full day trip that’s bound to be a highlight as you ride the famous TranzAlpine train through the Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps.
Why you’ll love this trip:
- It’s a comprehensive, worry-free trip travelling around New Zealand by train and ferry!
- Spend extended stays in Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch
- Discover historic monuments, iconic sights & cultural experiences in the cities
- Breathtaking train rides through volcanic mountains, rich forests & alongside icy blue rivers!
Your Holiday Includes:
- Rail journeys – Northern Explorer from Auckland to Wellington through central North Island
- Coastal Pacific from Picton to Christchurch between the sea and the mountains
- TranzAlpine return from Christchurch through the South Island’s striking landscapes
- Ferry – Interislander scenic ferry to marvel at the beautiful Marlborough Sounds
- Accommodation – 9 nights in standard rooms, based on twin share
- 3 nights Auckland – VR Auckland Hotel or similar
- 2 nights Wellington – Astelia Hotel or similar
- 4 nights Christchurch – Carnmore Hotel or similar
The lowest price deals depart Tuesdays during the following periods:
2023 – 10 October to 30 November
2024 – 26 January to 30 April & 10 October to 30 November
Please contact us for departures at other times of the year or to add flights from Australia.
Note: Prices are per person, based on twin share. Departures are subject to confirmation at time of booking and price may vary depending on your travel date.
Get the Brochure:
Click on the button to view or download a copy of the brochure. The brochure includes more details and the full itinerary.
Want to Stay Longer or Upgrade?
You can add extra nights in New Zealand or upgrade your accommodation.
Extend your holiday: from an extra $100 per person per night.
Upgrade the hotels: from an extra $600 per person for 9 nights.
Want to explore Queenstown? Add on a flight to Queenstown with a 2-night hotel stay and Milford Sound Day Cruise from an extra $600 per person.
Let us know if you’d like to see more of New Zealand by adding car hire or extend your stay with an escorted tour.
Ask us today about staying in other properties or adding more services. We are happy to design a holiday that will suit you best.
We can look after you. A single supplement from $999 covers the cost of having your own rooms.
This special deal is valid for a limited time. Please contact us for current rates.
All prices are per person, based on twin share, and listed in Australian dollars (AUD). Prices were correct as of 26 May 2023.
The package is subject to confirmation at the time of booking and prices may change without notice. Booking conditions and cancellation fees apply.
Please read Australia & New Zealand Travel Company’s Terms & Booking Conditions prior to making a reservation. By booking any travel service with us, you have agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions.
How to Book
You can also select a trip and request it via this website – please make sure you enter the quantity for the number of people travelling. In the ‘Additional Information’ field on the Checkout page, add your preferred departure date plus any other information that will help us process your booking, such as departure city and travel preferences.
No payment is required to submit an online booking request, but your booking is pending and no place is being held. Your booking status will be advised when you hear from our travel consultants. Bookings are normally actioned within 24 hours – Monday to Friday.