New Zealand North & South Island Rail Tour – 7 days
Combine three of New Zealand’s greatest rail journeys and explore the spectacular North and South Island!
Fly to Auckland to begin your New Zealand discovery. Your time will be free time to enjoy the urban delights of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch on this self-guided trip. Journey through Tongariro National Park aboard the Northern Explorer train, skirt the Pacific Coast between Picton and Christchurch aboard the Coastal Pacific and feel like you’ve arrived in Middle Earth on the TranzAlpine train through the Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps.
A scenic crossing from the North Island to the South Island aboard the Interislander Ferry is sure to be another highlight of this memorable New Zealand holiday!
Why you’ll love this trip:
- It’s a comprehensive, worry-free trip travelling around New Zealand by train and ferry!
- Spends overnight stays in Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch
- Discover historic monuments, iconic sights & cultural experiences in the cities
- Breathtaking train rides through volcanic mountains, rich forests & alongside icy blue rivers!
Your Holiday Includes:
- Flights to New Zealand – Return economy class airfare to Auckland & from Christchurch
- Fly from Melbourne, Brisbane & Sydney with luggage included (contact us for other cities)
- Rail journeys – 3 legendary train rides
- Northern Explorer from Auckland to Wellington through central North Island
- Coastal Pacific from Picton to Christchurch between the mountains and sea
- TranzAlpine train through the South Island’s striking natural landscapes
- Ferry – Interislander scenic ferry to marvel at the beautiful Marlborough Sounds
- Accommodation – 6 nights in standard rooms, based on twin share
- 2 nights Auckland – VR Auckland Hotel or Grand Central Serviced Apartments
- 1 night Wellington – Mercure Hotel or Quest on Lambton
- 3 nights Christchurch – ibis Christchurch or BreakFree on Cashel
Available from 01 February to 30 November, 2024 (excluding school holidays and peak travel periods).
The lowest price deals depart during the following period:
2024 – 21 February to 10 March
Extra $299 per person for flights from Adelaide, Hobart or Canberra. Extra $599 per person from Perth.
Please contact us for departures at other times of the year or flights from different cities.
Note: Prices are per person, based on twin share. Departures are subject to confirmation at time of booking and price may vary depending on your travel date. Lead prices are subject to sale airfares being available at your time of booking. Conditions apply.
Get the Brochure:
Click on the button to view or download a copy of the brochure. The brochure includes more details and the full itinerary.
Upgrade with the Scenic Plus Experience
Scenic Plus dining is now available aboard the Coastal Pacific and TranzAlpine trains.
Elevate your experience with and a full-sensory exploration of the lands you travel through aboard these two spectacular rail journeys.
Using the finest ingredients, carefully selected from the Canterbury and West Coast regions, you’ll get to enjoy a curated menu of seasonal delicacies that are freshly prepared in the custom-built kitchen carriage and served at your seat throughout the journey.
Enjoy the upgrade from just $470 per person extra for both trains, when you depart from 23 January 2024 onwards.
Hurry, space is limited so let your travel designer know today if you’d like to upgrade to Scenic Plus!
Want to Stay Longer
You can add extra nights in New Zealand or upgrade your accommodation.
Extend your holiday: from an extra $100 per person per night.
Upgrade the hotels: from an extra $370 per person for 6 nights.
Fly Business class: contact us for the latest deals.
Want to explore Queenstown? Add on a flight to Queenstown with a 2-night hotel stay and Milford Sound Day Cruise from an extra $600 per person.
Let us know if you’d like to see more of New Zealand by adding car hire or extend your stay with an escorted tour.
Ask us today about staying in other properties or adding more services. We are happy to design a holiday that will suit you best.
We can look after you. A single supplement from $900 covers the cost of having your own rooms.
This special deal is valid for a limited time. Please contact us for current rates.
All prices are per person, based on twin share, and listed in Australian dollars (AUD). Prices were correct as of 14 November 2023.
The package is subject to confirmation at the time of booking and prices may change without notice. Booking conditions and cancellation fees apply.
Please read Australia & New Zealand Travel Company’s Terms & Booking Conditions prior to making a reservation. By booking any travel service with us, you have agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions.
How to Book
You can also select a trip and request it via this website – please make sure you enter the quantity for the number of people travelling. In the ‘Additional Information’ field on the Checkout page, add your preferred departure date plus any other information that will help us process your booking, such as departure city and travel preferences.
No payment is required to submit an online booking request, but your booking is pending and no place is being held. Your booking status will be advised when you hear from our travel consultants. Bookings are normally actioned within 24 hours – Monday to Friday.